In this article we will discuss:
- What our custom domain feature comprises
- How you can set up your custom domain
- Several common issues and solutions
We've also included a short FAQ section at the bottom of this article.
When you sign up for a Tapfiliate account, you get your own, Tapfiliate-hosted affiliate portal where your affiliates can sign up for your program and login to their affiliate accounts.
With domain aliasing enabled, however, you have the option of setting up your own custom domain.
So instead of the standard
https://yourcompany.tapfiliate.com address that comes with your program, you can set up your affiliate program in your own domain, or change the top-level domain (TLD) to one of your choice, like this:
We also take care of arranging a dedicated SSL certificate to secure this domain for you.
How to set up your Custom domain
We've prepared a short, step-by-step guide explaining how you can begin to set up your custom domain.
To set up a custom domain, please follow our dedicated guide:
When set up correctly, we automatically purchase an SSL certificate and install that on our end - this is included with the Pro plan. If your SSL certificate appears not to have been set, then there may be an issue with your CNAME set up.
If you encounter any issues setting up, please take a look at the Troubleshooting section below, where we go over some common issues and solutions.
My SSL certificate isn't being generated
If the certificate isn't generated, it may be due to a number of reasons:
- The DNS settings need some time to propagate - after following the steps in our CNAME set up guide, please allow up to 24 hours for your new settings to propagate and for your new domain to become accessible.
- You're using Cloudflare - we have a dedicated section regarding these cases. Please read on below.
My custom domain doesn't work right away or isn't working
There may be a few reasons why the custom domain isn't working. If you're having trouble, we suggest the following:
- Wait for the DNS settings to propagate - After indicating your custom domain in your platform, please allow a few minutes for your SSL certificate to be generated and your custom domain to go live.
- Make sure your CNAME is pointing to your affiliate portal domain - you can find this and set it in your Branding Settings. Make sure it matches the one in your DNS, and that it does not include the
My HSTS subdomain isn't working
HSTS is not supported. Our SSL certificates can only be issued if you have an HTTP address.
If your subdomain address contains this, you have two ways you could proceed:
- Disable the HSTS subdomain.
- Get a separate subdomain without HSTS for your affiliate program.
I'm using Cloudflare
Cloudflare has a different way of configuring a CNAME setup, which you can find documented here.
For the SSL certificate to be generated, please ensure that you have the "Always use HTTPS" setting OFF. The certificate authority must check ownership of the sub-domain, which it does by checking a file over HTTP. Using HTTPS will result in failure to generate the SSL certificate.